Yesterday, Representatives Cheri Bustos (D-IL.) and David Kustoff (R-Tenn.) introduced the bipartisan Rural America Health Corps Act to improve rural health care. Sponsors for the companion legislation in the Senate include Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL.).
The Rural America Health Corps Act:
- Creates a new loan repayment program titled “NHSC Rural Provider Loan Repayment Program.”
- Includes a range of providers such as nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
- Ensures practitioners would be eligible for loan repayment on a sliding scale, based on the severity of the shortage in that area.
- Waives any associated income tax liability for the loan repayment program.
- Other than these provisions, the program would follow the same rules as the current NHSC program.
Click here for the one pager.